Secret

I walked up and down the aisles, making eye contact with the students. It was 7:20am in the morning and they have been dropped off early by parents who need to get to work. My job was to keep them in their seats and at a reasonable conversation volume. Everyone warned me about "Ashley." She is four.

Twenty seconds after arrival and her mom's goodbye kiss, "Ashley" was crawling on the ground. After two firm reminders, "Ashley" was trying to share a hug with an unreluctant friend. A teacher's eye told me Ashley wanted attention, not consequences.

"Ashley, I have a secret to share with you!" I whispered.
Her eyes opened wide in amazement.
"I do want to let you see it... but you have to promise that you stay in your chair and keep your hands and feet to yourself."

It was a deal.
I handed her my rosary bag, a lavender crochet pouch of 2 by 3 inches.
She was more than willing to take care of my rosary also.
I decided otherwise.

Patrol resumed.
A small milk spill at the 2nd graders table consumed my attention.
Parents made small talk.
Ashley was still in her chair.

7:46am.
School starts at 7:50.
It was time to reclaim.

"Sister, I have a secret to share with you also!" Ashley whispered.
The rosary bag lay gently in her hand.
"Look at this!"

She unloosened the bag.
A tiny folded square of fabric emerged.
Barney peeked at me. It was her underpants.

The sisters asked me if I still use this rosary bag.
Of course.
Ashley, as well as all the other four-year-olds carried extra clothing in case there was an accident.

I carry the rosary bag to remind me of this secret.
There is always an opportunity to smile.
If you want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah