Chà Bông #1


Screaming headache... blocked breathing... slow paralysis of limbs...

It was a cold and I was in no mood to go out. However, when your sister hasn't seen a friend in months, you can't just say no.

We headed down to Saigon Mall for lunch where Elizabeth promised that the food court had a little bit of everything for everyone. It was not a far ride from Our Mother of Perpetual Help parish (Giáo Xứ Đức Mẹ Hằng Cứu Giúp) and Sơ Thủy had met Elizabeth on our way in to give a guest talk to the CCD students. It was a small class and discussion ran deep and quiet as we shared about abortion and real-life consequences. This was the first time I had worked with Thái, the teacher. The donut holes he brought for the students could not compete with his enthusiasm and honesty. It was awesome to meet youth and zeal united for the sake of our Lord!

The last time Elizabeth saw Sơ Thủy was in August and this was January. I had just seen Elizabeth over Christmas break while Sơ Thủy was in California to see her family. Of course, Sơ Thủy did not say yes immediately to Elizabeth's offer to take us out. She told Elizabeth to ask me. They did not realize I was coming down with a major cold and I did not have the heart to say "no".

The food court was impressively decent. Through my blurred eyesight (even after Elizabeth gave me 2 Tylenols when she noticed I was looking more and more like a ghost as the minutes passed) I spotted "Cháo Vịt", "Bún Bò Huế", "Cà phê Sữa Đá", Lee's Sandwiches, Yogurt, "Cơm Chiên w/ Crawfish".... mmmm, it all looked so good... but my body was crying for a a big sofa with extra soft cushions...

And that is when I saw her... smiling impishly. Could that be...Annie... Annie from Giáo Xứ Thánh Phêrô working the cashier? I forced my muddled mind to focus and realized that she was smiling back at me in recognition. Aaaaah, Annie... one of my Thiếu nhi friends... wow, I hadn't expect to meet a familiar face... I was tickled with delight and I could tell she was feeling the same way about seeing a nun (and a nun she knows too!) at a dining establishment.

I resisted the urge to come over and say hi immediately... I didn't want to jeopardize her job with small talk and I didn't want to be impolite to our friend Elizabeth. After a few minutes, I noticed Annie delivering a tray of cháo gà to a customer. Her eyes met mine and she glided swiftly to my side.

"Sơ Vân, how are you?"
"Good, good! Wow, Annie... it's so good to see you!" I exclaimed.
"Come... come to our place... you want anything... sôi bắp? cháo? soda?" Annie offered. We headed towards the corner of the food court and stopped in front of the counter. I smiled demurely.

"Oh Sơ, it's on the house... it's family," Annie continued as she noticed my reticence.
"Oooh... you mean?"
"Yes... my family runs this place... and my aunt's family too.... so, do you want sôi bắp?.... or #1?" I looked at her questioningly at the last choice.
"#1?...."
Then I noticed the name of her family's shop... Chà Bông #1. Annie was wondering if I wanted any of the chà bông.

I decided upon a gift of sôi bắp and we gave each other a big hug before I headed back to Elizabeth who was waiting with a big bowl of steaming hot cháo cá.

The cháo cá was really good and my head felt so much better afterwards.
The sôi bắp was excellent and Annie's family can re-name their shop, Sôi Bắp #1.
The free sample of iced coffee from Lee's Sandwiches is sure to earn a faithful customer in me the next time I am at Saigon Mall.

Yet, what made my heart smile was how God likes to come in camouflage.
Yesterday, he came in Annie's smile.

p.s. Photo is from http://food-dilettante.blogspot.com/search/label/Vietnamese

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah