The First Meeting


We met each other through Thieu Nhi, our church’s youth group.

The weekend before, Vu and his friend decided to go canoeing on the American River. The warm California sun shone on them and Binh wanted to cool off. He jumped into the water and almost instantaneously a whirlpool formed near him. The American River was famous for its unpredictable current flow, making it a popular spot for rafters, kayakers and water enthusiasts of all kind. It was also known for taking lives.

Binh chuckled mischievously and swam towards the churning whirlpool. Vu turned his back to steady the canoe as it rocked in the moving waters. He heard a sharp cry. A hand clutched the empty air and sunk into the swirls. Against all advice given by the canoe rental owners, Vu jumped into the river to save his friend.

Well, this is the story told by Thanh and Duc who was in the other canoe. No one knew exactly what happened as Vu and Binh’s bodies were never found. The funeral was set for Saturday.

I knew Vu. He was kind, gentle, and intelligent. No one was surprised that he would jump into the water to rescue his friend. We were just surprised that we lost a friend so young. He was only 16.

Although this happened over 20 years ago, I remember that day so well. His father was an ashen gray, his handsome face set in a stony stillness. Our whole Thieu Nhi group was there, baffled, sad, and proud of our friend’s heroism. Vu’s features are still etched in my memory because his passing introduced me to the One.

That evening, I climbed atop our family’s car and looked into the setting sun. I usually bury myself beneath fairy tales and historical fiction novels during my summer months. But that day was different.

“Does death have the final victory?” my mind whispered. The clouds began to tint red.

“Why dream?” my heart wondered. A hint of coldness entered the air.

“Is that it? Death and no more?” My soul shuddered faintly and a soft breeze lifted the bangs out of my face. The sun was a golden ball, sinking steadily into the horizon. Magnificent streaks of deep violet and burnt orange filled the sky. The tops of the palm trees fluttered. It was gorgeous.

A few minutes later, I climbed off the car.

Some would say I met death.
I thought I had met the meaningless of life.
As it turned out, God came to meet me that day… as I sat on top of a rusting station wagon.

He has not disappointed me in our relationship. But those stories are for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah