The 14th and February


When you are in love, February 14th is the BIG day. Chocolate, flowers, and candlelight. I remember a rose offered to me. I had just arrived at the hotel and the bellboy, or shall I say, the bell gentleman had asked me for my room number.

"125."
"Yes..." he answered.
"Janine, " I replied, "Janine is my name. And thank you so much. My bags are very heavy. I am so sorry. Please be careful with them."

I made a mental note to tip him well because the bags were heavy and large and the fellow was relatively small in build.

"Janine? Oh, there is a city in our country named Janine." he remarked with a smile. "I will see you in a few minutes?" he continued in his intriguing Palestinian accent.

"Yes, yes... I will be going to dinner. I have to go through this garden, right?" There is a city in the Holy Land named Janine, I wondered to myself. Is that true? Hmmmmm.... I always thought Janine was the French female diminutive of John.

"Yes, Janine. The way to our dining room is through this garden. The meal will be served at 6pm. I am Ben. Please let me know if you need anything." With another smile, he set the bags inside my room and disappeared down the hallway.

I quickly unpacked and freshened up. After 10 days on the pilgrimage trip, I was getting use to living out of the suitcase. As I waited for my mom to get done, I looked out the window. The city of Jerusalem was breath-taking in the evening sun. I could not believe I was actually here, in the land Jesus himself walked.

"Are you hungry yet?" my mom asked.
"Oh, I'm ready to eat a hippo," I said with a chuckle.
"Good! You haven't been eating so well the past few days!" my mom said, approvingly.
"Oh Mom, you know how I am... I rather see how beautiful everything is than to sit still and eat!"
"My child, my child," my mom said gently as she squeezed my arm good-naturedly.

We walked slowly to admire the many varieties of plants and greenery, some of which we have never seen before. Just then, I heard a friendly shout and moving arms in front of me. Two or three guys were pushing an empty luggage rolling cart and I recognized Ben riding the cart. His hands were grasped firmly on the handle as his friends gave the cart a mighty heave towards my direction.

I was not scared as I noted that the cart was going to coast pass me and not at me. I was amused at their playful antics and a smile slowly broke across my face. Gradually, the cart slowed and I saw a rose held in Ben's mouth.

He looked at me and murmured, "A rose. A rose for you."
He took the rose from his lips and held it out to me.
I gently turned away, grasped my mom's hand firmly and walked a little faster towards the dining room.

"What did he say," my mom asked. She does not understand much English.
"Oh, he wanted to give me the rose," I replied with a grin. "He doesn't know. My heart belongs to another."

How could Ben know?
I did not have a ring yet.
I was with no man.
And many would say I love someone who can't be there for me all the time.

Perhaps that is his greatest fault. He has no hands and arms that can give me a hug, wipe away my tears, or give me a rose.

And yet, for those of us who have been loved, we know love is much more than a hug, a tear, or a rose.

When you are in love with another person, February 14th is the BIG day.

When God is your love, today is THE day.
You see, it's February 2nd, the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord. It's the day Jesus presented and revealed himself to the world in the temple. Are not our hearts a temple?

When God is your love, today he showers roses.
No one may see it.
Yet, you know it in the temple of your heart.

p.s. map of the city of Janine. Also spelled Janin or Jenin but pronounced the way I pronounce it. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/300348/Janin

Comments

  1. Wow, So Van, thank you for sharing! I don't know how to describe the impact (it was good, don't worry). It was a very nice story, and the way you presented it was very engaging and relate-able. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Ngoc! Thank you for your time and your compliment. Like you probably know, love is everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah