"Poison" at Retreat


When most people think of retreat, they think of war, nature, or God. I remember almost sending half my sisters to Walmart. Two years ago, our community took a retreat at the Marianist Retreat Center in Eureka, MO. It was a tranquil oasis of small ponds, box turtles, and remnants of a forest it bordered. The food was excellent and the cooking staff added rice to the menu for our benefit. Fr. Meconi, SJ, our retreat master was eloquent and brief in his talks. After every talk, we would head to the chapel to meditate or outside to contemplate God in his creation.

As I wandered through the woods, I noticed beautiful hanging vines, their tips a handsome red. I remembered that the retreat's chapel was sparsely decorated. A lone yucca tree stood to one side. The altar was bare and no flowers adorned Mary's corner. In several minutes, I had gathered an armful of the vines.

Half an hour later, a small arrangement was at Mary's feet. I knelt down, closed my eyes, and stared to pray, quite pleased with my feat. Quiet whisperings drew my attention away from prayer. Across the chapel, some of the sisters were pointing to Mary's vase. One of them walked over to me.

"Janine, did you gather those vines for Mary?" she asked.
"Oh yes! I found them in the woods and figured that it would not look too bad in here," I answered.
"You know, they're poison ivy," she announced emphatically.
"What?!!?"
"We're all scratching, coming up with rashes just being near it, and about to go to Walmart to get some creme," she continued mischievously.
"Aaahh!!!! I didn't mean to do that!"
"We know, we know... it's a miracle nothing happen to you!"

Needless to say, 15 minutes later the "poison" was out and I was nominated unanimously to exterminate poison ivy from all our convent's gardens.

* This water lily bloomed in the pond in front of the retreat center.
* Beautiful retreat center: http://www.mretreat.org/index.htm
* About 10% of the population is immune to poison ivy. However, this immunity can change anytime.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah