Shepherd's Cafe

I have a weakness for a full moon. Its silvery soft glow pleasantly caught me by surprise as I made my way to Shepherd's Cafe last night. My brother had just lost his job. One of my friends was losing energy for life, spiritually and emotionally. A headache pounded all day.

The first time I noticed a full moon was in Lourdes, France. I had returned to the hotel from the the shrine, swept away by the thousands and thousands of flickering candles lit in honor of Mary. Some had taken a bath in the healing waters, hoping for God to heal them from their physical illness. I opted not to after I noticed the long lines of sick people. I was there to bring my mom, who had multiple chronic diseases. She had taken a bath and was upset that I didn't.

Something else was on my mind.
Some one else was on my mind.
It was not Mary.

I opened a window.
Stillness filled the dark night sky.
I leaned out, my heart twisted in pain.

Thoughts, feelings, words tumbled upon each other.
I could not understand myself.
A soft breeze lifted my face and I gazed heavenwards.

A moon shone, gently and tenderly.
A mother's heart reached out to embrace my confusion.
I was on Mary's home ground and she was not going to let her child drop tears alone.
Although that child may not know her too well yet.

The throb in my heart stilled.
It would take me three more years to heal completely.
However, in that moment, I knew I would be okay.

Shepherd's Cafe was wonderful. The coffee is good, the music up-beat, and Eucharistic Adoration the best part of it all. I had a chance to meet with friends from Giáo Xứ Kitô Vua and Giáo Xứ Đức Mẹ Hằng Cứu Giúp.

I came to Shepherd's Cafe to support Yong Oh, my friend and the energetic founder of this coffeehouse. On my way, the shepherd of souls came to me. He knew my heart was weary. He knew I needed rest. He sent his mother.

The moon was gorgeous.
It should still be out tonight.
Let her rest your heart.

ps1. www.theshepherdscafe.com
ps2. Photo from http://www.sxc.hu/

Comments

  1. hi sr. Janine...
    Thank God for your story of the pilgrimage, especially your poem which reflects your beauty as well as the weakness of your heart. I don't really know how much..how deep...how much pain is in your heart at that moment...surely I know that "something else" or "someone else" was very important and special in your soul. And you were struck down. Thanks be to God for your hope that has led to your faith particularly that day. It has blossomed into love today. Our Mary has been truly holding your precious tears... and it has become your strength and compassion for you and others. Let us be grateful and may we never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to us, and we to the world. (Gal 6:14)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ngan Giang!
    Aaaah... you see the mystery of suffering leading to resurrection. Thank you for understanding my message and God's work in me.
    God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah