Whisper 1-2-3


I prayed for a 5 gallon fish tank. I was about to get a 50 gallon tank complete with coral and a display stand. I ended up with a 3 gallon tank. It was not a bad deal since 31 Flavors have been surviving on goldfish flakes. They're guppies and they like shrimp. They also survived a 7 1/2 car drive from Springfield, MO, our US headquarters convent.

Ice and Cream came into my care over a year ago after a fall festival. How could one flush two goldfish down the toilet? And so, I set up home for them on our kitchen counter. The sisters gave them two weeks at the maximum. Little did they realize that my dad was a goldfish fanatic. I grew up with goldfish in the house, goldfish in our front pond, and goldfish in our swimming-size pond in the backyard. I didn't call him up for goldfish care tips but I did so some internet surfing.

After 6 months, the sisters quit asking me the same question every day, "Are they still alive?" After one year, I decided my two goldfish deserved a name. The silver one was dubbed Ice and the golden orange one, Cream. Then it was Thanksgiving, our sisters' annual gathering to share stories, ministry advice, and enjoy each other's company. Sr. Martha caught wind of my latest "accomplishment" and offered baby fish (fry or fingerling). I didn't know what they were but I did notice its fins were gorgeously colored. I offered a silent prayer to St. Francis, patron of all animals. If they made it through the trip back to Irving, then they would be worthy to live in a convent, where the food may not be always the greatest but it is God who provides.

It was now a problem of an air pump. Ice Cream had one in their tank but these new fry did not come with one. They came in a tall octangular plastic container with some food for a few weeks and that was it. I could buy another pump but I could not bring myself to spend money when I knew there were still hungry children in the world. Well, Ice Cream will have to share their air.

It worked out beautifully. Ice Cream had it during the night and 31 Flavors got it during the day. (Since 31 Flavors were so little, I couldn't tell them apart or how much I really had. And as all ice cream fanatics know there is an ice cream shop called Baskin Robbins 31 flavors) Then the pump started to get loud. Very loud. So loud, you could hear it from the chapel. It was disturbing our prayer.

How could I flush Ice Cream and 31 Flavors down the toilet? I didn't. I started praying. If they belong to the Trinh Vuong family, God will provide.

We were offered a gorgeous and elaborate tank. It was too big to fit in our convent. I said no reluctantly.

I also found out that these were guppies. They would only grow to normal size with a bigger tank and the right foods. Shrimp was out of the question but they would be happy with boiled egg yolk.

Right before Tết, the Lunar New Year, a friend came to give us 4 beautiful pots of chrysanthemums. Other friends gave us bánh chưng, bánh téc, and huge Korean pears. Some decided to lì xì and we received generous donations. God is good to his nuns.

My cousin also lived in town. I came to see him, his beautiful wife, and two kids. We chatted, ate, and played Jenga. I also found out that they had a fish tank they weren't using. Complete with colorful gravel, a picturesque cave, and an air pump. Little did my nephew realize that his "old" fish tank was a miracle in disguise.

31 Flavors suffered culture shock the first day. They were scared of the big black box that bubbled. They all stayed on the other side, heads pointed away. By the third day, they were addicted to the new air. Some of them hung around the air pump, catching the bubbles as it rose.

The name of the pump? Whisper 1-2-3. It was quiet as a brook on a spring day. It was as quiet as the prayer that rose from my heart for a new tank. It was quite a childish wish. But God has a way of spoiling his children. And so that is what He did for me.

ps. A photo of the tank with 31 Flavors. Interesting detail: Our spiral staircase is reflected off the air pump.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah