TGIS


"This is me...being a bridge." (A ripple of laughter)
"I mean, me designing a bridge...I want to become an architect... and like, being a bridge for other people." (His peers quickly settled into respectful silence.)
"And this is a crocodile eating Tony up in the river and I am going to save him," Minh continued. (The group chuckled good-naturedly. Tony was Minh's friend.)

"Thank you Minh. Anyone else?" I asked. We had just done a drawing meditation while listening to instrumental music. I had given them this question to ponder: What are the dreams you have? What are the dreams God placed within you?

Hearts, hands, crosses, and people gradually emerged from their canvasses. Minh had wanted to share. I did not spot any dollar signs, trophies, or blank sheets. I was not surprised. Deep down, who would be attracted to money, power, or emptiness?

Have you seen that restaurant TGIF, Thank God It's Friday?
I wondered why they didn't think of naming it TGIS, Thank God It's Sunday.

Sunday is Football Sunday.
Sunday is sleep-in day.
Sunday is when the comics come in color and the jokes are funnier.

Why not TGIS?

And Sunday is when a lot of youth go to Sunday school, a youth group, or Thiếu Nhi Thánh Thể. Some of them like it and some of them don't. A lot of adults go to church services or Mass. Some of them like it and some of them don't.

This past Sunday, I was at Giáo Xứ Kitô Vua in Fort Worth with the Nghĩa Sỹ group.
Their smiles and their hugs are worth more than ten Olympic gold medals.
I can't wait to come back.

Sunday is when Jesus rises from the dead.
Sunday is when some of us gather at church.
Sunday is a chance to see Jesus...at church.

I can't wait to come back.
I can't wait for this Sunday.
I'm going to Giáo Xứ Thánh Phêrô to be with their youth.
To be with Jesus.

TGIS.

ps. Here is a photo of the Kitô Vua Nghĩa Sỹ group...courtesy of Christine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah