Frosted Flakes

If there had to be a cereal, it has to be "Honey Bunches of Oats." The sisters know that. There was a time when I ate cereal 7 days a week for 5 years straight. With "Honey Bunches," you can taste joy in every spoonful.

I quit eating cereal about a year ago. Then I was at this retreat the past weekend. There was 52 of us and seven families. Each of the families had to come up with a fun and inspirational name. We named ourselves, "Frosted Flakes." I didn't tell them. But I never eat Frosted Flakes. It was a difficult vote. We were deciding between Snapple, T-Mobile, and Energizer. Frosted Flakes got the vote because no one really voted.

We could hear the other families laughing and joking. Jennifer took the plunge and started drawing our poster. Tony and Mathew looked on, intrigued but not interested. It was time to be a "momma." I asked everyone to pick up a marker and color. Hung wrote "Yo Daddy Hung!" (He was the "dad" of the group.) Someone asked me to write, "Yo Momma So Van!" (I was the "mom" of the group.)

I did.
We finally laughed.
Together.

A few minutes later, there was more laughter.
It was family presentation time and some of the other youths were laughing.
Laughing and mocking the other families.

Frosty Flakes stayed silent.
I was proud of them.
Frosted Flakes are more than good... they're GREAT!

That last line is from the Frosted Flakes song.
We were going to sing it for our family presentation.
I think we got nervous and so we never sung it.

We didn't need to.
We were your typical family.
Hoang was mischievous and honest... VanAnh looked and smiled a lot... Mathew needed someone to translate his letter into English... Hannah volunteered to read Lời Nguyện Giáo Dân... Jennifer picked up after us and was an awesome big sister.... Jimmi slept through most of the talks... Stacy was shy and smiling at the same time... Tony had interesting questions... Daddy Hung missed both of the parents' meetings... and me, Momma Van?

I am proud of them.
They'll always be my family.
I hope they remember...

Frosted Flakes are more than good... they're GREAT!

When I go back to eating cereal, I'm eating Frosted Flakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah