10 Left

I loathe to admit it. Four died. Flappy, the only one I named because his tail was a glorious orange and black, was no more. I didn't want to clean the tank because I could not believe that my guppies had thrived for eight months under my care. Then April rolled around and I did not feed them. Days at a time.

As I ran water through the aquarium's rocks, I asked Trúc.
"Would your sister be offended if I gave her my guppies?"
She looked at me surprised. "Why would she be offended?"
"Well...it's not like I don't want them. I just can't bear them dying."
Trúc smiled. "Mmmm.... I don't know if you want to give it to my family. We don't have much luck with pets." I did remember her telling me of fish, birds, rabbits, and kittens.

My face twisted into a grimace. "Ohhhh!!!"
In the water filter was a glob of reddish-brown mass. I could make out the outlines of fish heads. My guppies had died, sunk to the bottom, and was sucked into the filter.

I could not believe my heart could feel such sadness for creatures that swims, eats, and swims.

"Trúc...I'm going to keep them. I changed my mind. I want to see them grow. I want a second chance." She looked at me slowly and nodded.

A second chance.
It was easy for the ten left to give me a second chance.
There is no choice.
They're guppies!

A second chance.
This only humans can do for each other.
Would I?
Would you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah