Eagle's Wings

Wildflowers lined both sides of Highway 35S. Radiant yellows, burnished oranges, and ethereal lavenders. The sun smiled gently. Abruptly, raindrops splattered the windshield. The sun and rain continued together for a few moments.


A few years ago, we were heading back to Springfield, our congregation’s US headquarters. Imposing limestone cliffs bordered Highway 44. It was a hot dry Missouri summer day and I had my sunglasses on to deflect the glare from the road. Suddenly, a thunderstorm poured buckets of water. Cars slowed to 20 mph. Some pulled over into the shoulder. I wondered if I should do the same. It would be much better if I could see, I grumbled.

Minutes passed. 18-wheelers splashed water on our little Metro. Sr. Marguerite said we should wait to the side. The sun peeked through. The gray clouds disappeared from the horizon and a sparkling countryside emerged.


“Sister!!! I had my sunglasses on…No wonder I couldn’t see!!!” I exclaimed.

Sr. Marguerite and I shared a hearty laugh.

We had been caught up in the suddenness of the squall and forgot what was sitting on my nose.



130 miles on 35S.

Exit TX29.

Right into FM 2341.


We pulled into the gate of Eagle’s Wing, a retreat center in Burnet, Texas and a mild breeze greeted us. The land was interspersed with majestic sandstone formations, stunning wildflowers in its simplicity, and prickly pear cacti with its deceivingly delicate yellow blooms. Katie showed us to our lodging.


Eagles circled overhead.

Eagles are known to have the keenest eyesight among its kind.

“They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings.” (Is 40:31)


Some think a retreat is an escape from the world.

Some say a retreat is a luxury.

Some would argue a retreat is a waste of time.


Eagles fly high to see better.

Eagles fly high to gain better perspective.

Eagles fly high to retreat from the close detail of the tree’s branches.


ps. http://www.eagleswingsretreatcenter.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah