Rice and Chayote

"Sweetie, would you run over and call that man over?"
I looked at my mom intently if she really meant it. The man was dirty, ragged, and homeless. And obviously American. I did not recall seeing a sandwich ever in my house. We had just arrived in Houston from Vietnam.

"Go, go... the man is hungry."
I ran.
A few moments later, my mom had placed a hot bowl of rice and chayote squash soup in his hands. There was no bits of chicken, ham, or pork in it. We didn't see a lot of meat in those days.

Was he blonde?
Did he walk with a limp?
How old did he look?

My child's memory retains the whiteness of the rice grains floating serenely in the vegetable broth, the quiet slurping of a satisfied appetite, and the hands that reached out to each other. Dad was at work and like all our neighbors, we had locks and double-locks on our windows and doors. We played in the streets, always in groups of four or more.

I learned generosity in that small bowl of soup.
I discovered fearlessness in a woman's heart.
I was amazed by my mom's tenderness.

Mother's Day is around the corner.
She has already called me yesterday.
I hope I am my mother's daughter.

ps. Photo from http://www.realthairecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/rice-soup.jpg

Comments

  1. Bai nay So Van viet hay that lai co y nghia nua, vi ma cua So Van giong ma cua em. Ma em moi lan ma di lam qua thay mot nguoi gia cung cho ong gia ay mot chut tien cua minh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cam on em... trong nhung ngay Tet nay, ta on Chua ban cho ta nhung cha me tot dde guong sang cho minh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah