The Visit

"Are you a Jesus woman?"
His sky-blue eyes looked at me expectantly.
"Why... I guess you may say so," I stammered hesitantly.

"I like Jesus people," he continued as his left hand tapped his chest.
Thick gauze bandages peeked out from his shirt.
His question slightly unsettled me.

"I'm glad you're out... so people can see you. We need to see you."
I glanced at the sign to his apartment.
Mr. Williams Gettys.

He scooted his wheelchair closer to me.
A nurse brought him a Blue Bunny ice cream carton.
"This is a nice place... they give us ice cream and everything."

I settled into the doorway.
I frequently visit the Avante Rehabilitation and Nursing Home Center.
It was rare to meet lucid residents.

"You're a nun?"
I nodded.
"I'm a Baptist... I use to know a Catholic fella... I learned a lot about the Eucharist."

"Are you sure you're a Baptist?" I kidded him.
He smiled.
Baptists are obnoxiously stereotyped for being intolerant of all other Christian denominations and religions.

"Like I said, it's good that you're out... so we can see you... we need more Jesus people."
I knew he was referring to pre-Vatican II (before 1965) days when sisters and nuns were expected to stay within convent walls and left only to do ministry.

"I had a stroke. That's why I'm here. You know. I'm not that smart. We got lots of folks like school principals here... They don't look like it... but they've made something of their lives. The other day, a group of school children came. It's good their teachers bring them here. So, they can see."
He paused.
There was no bitterness in his voice or a plea for pity.

"There were some very fine young girls there... I told them. If their daddies told them their skirts were a little short, their daddies love them. It's when the daddies doesn't say anything, then they should be watching out."

"Go on...if you want to talk, I'll listen." I murmured.
The Vietnamese have a proverb,
Thương con cho roi, cho vọt Ghét con cho ngọt cho buì..
If you love your child, you will give him/her discipline.
If you dislike your child, you will give him/her what they want.

"You know... when a woman nags a man... it can ruin a marriage. She keeps on saying it... it can destroy something good."
The abrupt change in topic is quite usual for older folks.
I smiled.

I grew up with five brothers and one sister.
The feminine habit of reminding (ie nagging) was an interesting phenomenon for me when I first joined the convent, a community full of women.

"Well, I don't want to keep you from seeing other folks here. And I want them able to see you."

I slowly walked down the corridor.
Am you a Jesus woman?
I'm still hesitant in saying yes.

I'm more sure of saying that Mr. Williams Gettys was a Jesus man.
He was full of peace.
He was going to enjoy his ice-cream and take it one day at a time.

ps1. I am on annual retreat. Story is pre-written and released by date.
ps2. Rehab center http://www.avanterc.com/
ps3. Photo from St Jude Chapel in downtown Dallas. A precious hidden jewel!
http://stjudechapel.net/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah