Faith

"Here you go," Sr. Leslie proclaimed jubilantly.
A clear parcel of yellow round kernels.

"Oh I paid dearly for them.. those vendors knew I was a tourist," she exclaimed.
She had just gotten back from her Holy Land pilgrimage.
"There they are, the size of our faith! I won't mind paying an eye for it except our chaplain kept laughing at me and told me to buy my mustard seeds in the US."

"Thanks Leslie... now I have this visual aid to help me explain faith to the youth... but you know the mustard seed is not the least of the seeds," I commented.

She saw the twinkle in my eye and waited for my explanation.
"The mustard seed is 1/20th of an inch, the begonia seed is 1/50th of an inch, the petunia seed is 1/100th of an inch, while the orchid seed is so small, you need a 10 to 30 power microscope to see it... and so, the point isn't to prove Jesus wrong, but that faith is present in the small ordinary things of life."

"Wow! I wish I wasn't charged so much though... I saw them everywhere... bins and basket-fulls... they say you could eat the seeds... Father kept telling me to get them in the US," Sr. Leslie continued.

"Hmmmmmmm... well I know mustard is made from grinding the seeds...mmm..." I mused.
I opened the laptop and typed www.amazon.com
SEARCH: mustard seed in Home and Garden

$1 for 6000 seeds and $4.15 for a package of the organic varieties.
Faith is accessible.

ps. Photo http://twog.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mustardseed.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah