Give Life

"Sister, you'll have to stop by the police station this morning."
I looked at Father Toản, CMC quizzically as I continued to make my coffee.
He was the head coordinator of all Marian Days events.
It was Saturday morning.

"You know how you left your money jar at your vocation booth? Well, the cops saw two boys messing with it last night, so they took it and said you could claim it at the police station."
I thanked him and wondered what could've happened.

"Give Life"
Those were the words I painted on the sunny yellow flower pot I converted to a donations jar.
Many youth stopped by to say "hello" and drop in a few dollars for the poor in Vietnam.
And if they wished, they could choose a paper rose bracelet to wear.

I had left the pot out Thursday night and found a substantial pile of coins and dollars Friday morning. I didn't understand how Friday night could be any different.

The police officers quickly returned the donations jar and counseled me not to trust too much in the goodness of others. I smiled my assent but silently refused to believe them. However, I would obey them because they had other duties to take care than confiscating my donations jar.

When I got back to my vocations booth, I found a note from Tài.
Tài is a young gentleman from the Holy Martyrs Vietnamese Catholic Church in Arlington, Texas. I had met him several years ago and I am always struck by his sincerity and charming manners. He had seen my donations jar Friday afternoon and volunteered to do direct soliciting.

I smiled at his boldness and willingness to look like a "fool."
"Tài, are you sure you want to do this?"" I asked gently.
"Yes, Sister! I am a person full of faults and sins.... this is one way I can make up for it!"
With that, he sped into the crowd.

He returned 10 minutes later with $3.00.
"Sister... people don't believe me this is for the poor people... they just look at me like I'm lying. Would you please come with me? They'll believe you because you are a nun!"
I smiled broadly. He was handsome with his hair cropped close, fitted T-shirt, and jeans.
"Well... you do look like you belong to a gang," I said jokingly. "I can't come... you know I got to stay here at my booth. However, if you do do this... you have my admiration."

He disappeared into the crowd and emerged triumphant half an hour later.
"Sister! Count... please count it right now!"
$67. I had to admire his tenacity.

Those familiar with Marian Days know that the youth stroll the grounds at night to escape the Missouri heat and make new friends. Tài and a friend wanted to advantage of this fact and began to ask their peers for donations. Cops had spied them and misunderstood their intentions.

The sisters and I enjoyed a good laugh with Tài.
Amazingly, he stayed for the rest of the day and continued his campaign.
Of course, he stayed closer to "home territory."

I asked Sr. Josephine Bảo to be the "bank."
Over $1500 was collected.
The poor has Tài to thank.

Many persons, upon hearing the story, was impressed with the donors who threw in $100 bills.
However, it was the number of $1 bills that caught my attention. Over 400 notes.
Some of these are from adults. Mostly they are from teens.

Who says youth are not generous?

ps1. Photo of Tài with the "Give Life" donations jar in front of our vocation booth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah