Intense

$9.99 for 150 sheets.
Or $21.99 for 100 sheets.

I had just redesigned an informational brochure of our religious community and was planning to print from home.
It is for our venue at the upcoming Marian Days gathering.
Over 50,000 Vietnamese Catholics from all over the United States gather to socialize, pray, and renew themselves spiritually.

"$21.99," the Office Depot cashier stated. "And because you spent over $10, you get a free backpack."
"Really... I didn't see signs of this promotion," I replied.
"Yes, we are trying to get customers. What colors would you like? Pick two."
"Hmmmm..." This would be great for Sr. Leslie Thu to pass out to the Burmese refugees she works with at Fort Worth Catholic Charities. "Red and blue, please."

A mother and a little boy entered the store and stood behind me.
The seven or eight-year old looked at the pile of backpacks wistfully.

"You know, you get a free bag if you spend $10 or more," I told him.
He nodded slowly.
His mom stood silent.

I was almost out of the store.
"Can we have one of those backpacks?" a small voice uttered.
"No. You have to buy something."

I turned around.
"Would you like one of these? I really don't need two."
A broad grin greeted my question.
A shy smile accompanied it.

Intense.
That is the brand of the backpack.
And the joy of giving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah