Marvelousness

"Sơ, you have to stop by Quán Đồng Hành!"
I smiled. It was always good to see a familiar face at Marian Days.
Especially a friend.

"Anything you want Sơ... it'll be on me," Anh Tuấn continued.
I knew he and many of my friends from Holy Martyrs Parish had volunteered to help with the parish's food booth. Each food booth required a crew of at least 100 to not risk overworking themselves and adequately serve the tens of thousands of pilgrims.

"You know it's not a matter of wanting... it is time," I replied.
"Any time Sơ, any time, I'll be waiting."

Late Friday afternoon I left our vocation booth under Sr. Josephine Bảo's care and headed for QĐH. I was beginning to feel the strain of greeting thousands that passed our way and the stifling heat of the roofed pavilion.

"Sơ!"
Theresa's exuberant yell and hug knocked all my fatigue away.

"We just got here Sơ! How are you?"
"Good... and hot!" I said with an impish smile.
Her parents chuckled. It was my first time meeting them.

Anh Tuấn appeared with a tray of delightful cool beverages (chè).
We had no idea what the green concoction was but the color was enough to refresh the spirit.
And garner my choice.

We didn't speak much.
Theresa and her family was famished from the long car drive.
Anh Tuấn was thoroughly exhausted and my feet was screaming murder.

"Why don't y'll leave your purses with us and help out? Hmm?"
Theresa's mom looked at her and her two siblings.
I didn't blame them for their silence.
They had just gotten to Marian Days and like most youth, wanted to do a little roaming and friend-hunting.

"2-3 hours. It won't hurt too much."
The three siblings shrugged matter-of-factly and handed their purses over.
I gave an inward shout of triumph.

Marvelous.
Marvelous to enjoy an iced dessert with friends.
More marvelous to see parents asking more from their children.
Extremely marvelous to be friends with youth who gives generously.

ps1. Photo of Anh Tuấn letting me pick which chè I wanted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah