Kiss

Inbox (3).
Inspirational forward.
Perhaps.

Next email.
An acquaintance I just ran into the other day after several months of absence.
39 words.

The request was innocuous.
The timing was enigmatic.
Did I just get a Judas' kiss?

Today is the Feast of St. Simon and Judas.
Judas?
"Didn't he betray Jesus with a kiss?" I asked when I first found out my pastor back in Sacramento was Fr. Judas Nguyễn Ngọc Ban patron saint was Judas.

The other Judas.
Judas, the son of James (Lk 6:16).
So misunderstood was he that he is the patron saint of impossible causes.
So misconstrued was he that he is called Jude today.

Last unread email.
Sr. Janine, your name was drawn in the raffle at the recent UD Ministry Conference. We need a physical mailing address to send you your $25 gift card.

"Sister, can we build you a church?"
"If you will do it for $25," I replied when I saw the sign in front of their booth, "Piazza Construction Company." The three men laughed uproariously.

"Sister, where is your convent?" Chip Piazza continued.
"In Irving...and what kind of construction do you do?"
"All kinds... churches, educational, banking, recreational facilities... Would you like to enter the drawing?"
"Oh sure," I replied with a grin. Win? With thousands of others visiting this booth? I didn't want to disappoint these charming gentlemen and so I gave them my name. Trúc, our aspirant, who was with me, entered her name also.

Impossible.
Me win a drawing?
Then Trúc told me she had won too. Her gift card had already come in the mail.
Two winners who put their names in at the same time, from the same residence?
Impossible.

$25 is $25.
This news any other day would've been wonderful.
Today, in the midst of deciphering a Judas' kiss, it was wondrous.

$25 is a lot.
It can feed 500 starving children.

$25 is a miracle.
Because it rescued me from confusing sorrow.
Because it is the month of October, the month of the Rosary, the month of Mary.
Would Mary not kiss the tender heart of this daughter?

ps1. Photo of the sisters and Anh Linh Chị Hồng Chi from St. Peter's Vietnamese Catholic Parish at the UD Ministry Conference
ps2. $5 to feed 100 children.
Food for the Poor http://www.foodforthepoor.org/help/brownbag10/web.html
ps3. Piazza Construction Company
http://piazza-construction.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah