Enough

Ding, ding.
The fuel gauge on the dashboard dropped to E.
I had just left the gas station.

Our car was going crazy again.
A year ago, the steering wheel was loose and wobbly.
$800 of car repairs later, it was still loose and wobbly.
I always made sure I said my prayers and left nothing unsaid before I drove that car.

Then I remembered one of our friend's offer.
"Sister, if you ever need anything. Talk to my husband. He's a car mechanic."
I met Chị Kiều through many youth activities in the DFW area.
She was an energetic and creative youth leader.

I had only glimpsed Anh Long whenever I attended Mass at the Holy Martyrs Church.
I've held Kevin, their rambunctious 2-year-old in my lap, in my lap many times.
I didn't want to burden them with the car's weird quirk.
However, it was getting frightening to drive it.

Three days after we dropped the car off at his shop, he got into an accident.
His shoulder blade was broken.
He knew we needed the car within a week.
Disregarding the doctor's orders, he managed to have the car fixed.

Five weeks later, Chevrolet sent out a recall notice.
Our Malibu had a defective steering column.
The company was willing to reimburse us of repair costs.
Anh Long had repeatedly called and questioned them about the malfunction.

Anh Long and Chị Kiều did not take a penny for the labor or the parts.
He helped us get the necessary paperwork to file our claim.
They plan to refuse the compensation check also.

I hope they will accept it.
The sisters and I have said, "Thank you."
How can this be enough?

Thanksgiving is approaching.
"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." (John F. Kennedy)

We just dropped off that Malibu at his shop this morning because the fuel gauge is going wacky.
We said, "Thank you."
Hopefully, our lives will be as beautiful as their hearts.

ps1. I have no photo of Anh Long and Chị Kiều.
ps2. Photo of Glory Window found in the Thanksgiving Square of Dallas
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/dallas-photos-1/#/dallas-thanksgiving-square_1832_600x450.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah