Shamu

"I don't mean to be sassy, but Shamu is the name of a killer whale at SeaWorld!" His face lit up in a smile and he nodded slowly. "Yes, yes... but I don't think I am named after him," he replied in his bewitching French accent.

That was our first meeting about a year ago. I was taken by the mildness of his manners as he lay confined to his bed, struck by a baffling illness. I came back yesterday to visit.
The Avante Rehabilitation Center had undergone recent renovations and the home looked brighter and cleaner.

"Hello Mr. Shamu!"
He turned slowly towards me. He was an accomplished engineer who spoke three languages.

"I'm sorry it has been so long since I've seen you."
Silence.
"I think it has been about a month."
"A month is a long time."

He did not say it to make me feel guilty. He was stating a fact.
"I pray to God I will get out of here," he continued. One could not ignore the smell of urine and feces which no air freshener or expensive ventilation can rid of in a nursing home. I noticed a tube dangling from his side. It was filled with a yellow liquid.

I first started visiting the nursing home out of duty.
Did not Jesus say, "When I was ill, you cared for me"? (Matthew 25:36)

I found more than Jesus.
I found myself.

With more balance.
Shamu is famous at the San Diego Sea World shows because he does tricks and gives the audience a good splash. And at the end, a female trainer would appear riding on this killer whale's nose. Last year, a trainer was drowned when the whale pulled her down.

Balance is something the world abhors in secret.
One must be passionate about everything.
So says clothing, cell phone, and car ads.
To be jack of all trades is to be master of no trade.

Balance is something the world says can be bought.
Watch a Shamu show.
Go to a spa.
Learn Feng-shui.

Balance is in our bones.
Accepting the aging process.
Recognizing the mortality of our existence.

Isn't life beautiful?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah