Soupçon

35 minutes there.
35 minutes back.
40 minutes of idleness.

As I felt the electricity pulse through the electrodes into my back, stillness descended upon my mind. A huge golden moon had greeted me last night as I ran some late errands. The innocent prattle of Dr. Chi's three-year-old daughter rang in the hallways.

I wondered how those who have to go to regular medical treatments handle their moments of idleness. Of vulnerability. Of realizing one day our life will not be in our hands.

I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go. (John 21:18)

Jesus' words were addressed to Peter.
Perhaps it meant that Peter will one day die crucified upside down for his Teacher and Master.

Or it may be for me.
An accidental fall on the staircase.
And now, monthly chiropractic care.

Fortunately, I have friends who will do it for free for me.
With a soupçon of banter.

"Geez, Sister. With the way you walk, who would know you have lower back pain!?!"
I had just whizzed into the couch and the office's brochures rustled at my entrance.

"Oh! I guess I'm so use to being on the go! Honestly, my back is giving me problems."
Dr. Kim and Dr. Chi glanced at me good-naturedly.

My back pain will never go away.
Yet, the pain came with acquaintances who turn into friends.

Peter wasn't looking forward to losing his freedom.
Yet, he has gained so many friends who followed in his footsteps throughout the Church's 2000 year history. What a soupçon of greater things to come!

Photo credit: www.chiropractors-san-diego.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah