JB

"Sơ, you ditched us!" Melissa did not even turn around to look at me.
"No... I went visiting," I stuttered in surprise.

"Sơ, the kids are mad at you!" Phúc informed me frankly.
"When you went up there with that other family, I just wanted to grab your rock and put it in our pile!" Melissa continued honestly in an irritated tone.

I was suddenly thrown into confusion and sadness.
The night before, at the opening activity of the Ephata retreat, these group of kids had spontaneously adopted me to be their "aunt." We were the JB family, aka Justin Bieber or Jesus da Boss.

Never say Never.
That's what Justin sang.
That's what we'll say to God.

I did not think they were serious.
So, I joined another group for the rock activity.

Boy, was I wrong!
"You think you'll disown me?" I asked David.
"I think we already did," he replied simply. He was the first to give me the invitation.

Anger is a sign of love.
That's what I learned in psychology at college.
That's what I reminded others when they came for advice.

It doesn't seem like love when 7 teenagers are mad at you all at once.
And in those moments (9 hours - I counted), it seemed like they hated me.
"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." (Elie Wiesel)

I finally I had a chance to tell them I knew they were mad.
I told them that anger is a sign of love.
Of course they believed me.
And forgave me.

Who hasn't been angry?
I am proud to be their "aunt."
I have "nieces and nephews" willing to be honest.
Willing to forgive.

The best gift I received at Ephata retreat.
Dedicated to my JB family.
Never say never.

Photo of our JB family drawing the words "Piety." Piety is a gift of the Holy Spirit and it means one can see God everywhere and in anything. By the way, the two persons at the end are exclamation marks. God is everywhere and in anything!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah