Laugh

I bit into the soft chestnut-colored pit.
An acrid bitter taste filled my mouth.

"Thu, have you ever eaten a boiled avocado pit before," I asked her calmly.
"Oh no! I just thought if we could eat a durian or a jackfruit pit, we could eat this too!" she replied enthusiastically.

I continued to chew the avocado pit with relish, hiding my spontaneous distaste of its harsh aroma.
"Wow! Well, when I was boiling it, the water turned a gorgeous burnt sienna color."

"Let me cut off a little piece and enjoy it." Sr. Leslie Thu popped it in her mouth and I watched carefully. She wrinkled her face in horror and ran into the kitchen to grab a piece of chocolate to wipe out the avocado seed's pungent aftertaste.

The other sisters at the table watched in surprise.
I burst out laughing.

"Oh, Thu!!! Gotcha!!! How could I let this opportunity go!" I cried out.
"Geez Van, you look so calm eating that pit. Who would've guessed it was gross," one of the sister commented.

"Oh, for a good laugh!" I replied.

Laugh.
The name, "Isaac" means "laughed." Isaac was the son born to Abraham and Sarah when they both near 100 or beyond. They had "laughed" at God for promising a baby when they were so old. Their life was filled with "laughter" because God did the impossible and brought them joy. (Genesis 17:17 http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/genesis/genesis17.htm#foot4)

Have you had a good "Isaac" today?
Don't let go of an opportunity to give yourself and others a good Isaac/laugh!

ps. The avocado seed does contain toxins that are harmful to animals. There has not been enough studies to show if it is poisonous to humans. I did get a huge headache last night. However, laughter is the best medicine.

ps2. Photo credit: http://whatscookingamerica.net/avacado.htm
ps3. From the same website, an interesting trivia:

The Spanish conquistadors also discovered a unique use for the avocado seed. The seed yields a milky liquid that becomes red when exposed to air. The Spaniards found they could use this reddish brown or even blackish indelible liquid as ink to be used on documents. Some of these documents are still in existence today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah