Wobbles

"How do you like it?" Trúc asked me.
"I like it. There's less friction," I answered with a smile. It also means it's going to be easier to fall, I thought to myself.

The Galleria ice rink was still empty at 10am on Saturday.
It was my first time ice skating and everyone has always told me that it was like rollerblading.
With less friction.

The oldest pair of skates date was found at the bottom of a lake in Switzerland.
It was made from the leg bones of a large animal and holes were bored at each end of the bone. Leather straps were used to tie the skates on. The skates are from 3000 BC.

"Don't get too near me. I like to fall," I warned a five-year-old as he coasted past me.
"I know," he replied immediately.
I had to smile at young children's ability to be frank and cherubic simultaneously.

The rink is in the center ground level of the mall and all three levels of the mall faced into it. Many people stopped to watch us.
I wobbled my way past an 8-year-old ice-skating pro, a middle-age mom spending time with her teen, and a 3-year-old taking lessons.

I didn't care I looked silly.
For every minute of wobbles, I had a few seconds of floating.
Perhaps that is why the people of long-ago did ice-skating.

For life is made of wobbles.
And floating for those who want to take part.

Photo: Later, the Galleria had professional ice skaters entertain the mall crowd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah