Guayacan

"I like to carve when I have some time on my hand."
He looked at me thoughtfully.
We were both stuck behind a long line at Bank of America.

"One time a friend gave me a piece of guayacan. It was a pretty thing. It called out to become a crucifix. Once I was done, I wanted to make a little placard to go with it. I usually give my carvings away. Do you know what I found out?"

I shook my head slowly.
I did not want to disturb his reverie. He seemed to be in another time.

"Guayacan is the toughest wood out there. It's used to make cricket bails, the belaying pins in sailing ships, and even used as a lap to cut gems. What got me though (he paused slightly), was its latin name: lignum vitae. Wood of life. And I had carved Jesus on it, the Author of Life. The Spanish call it holy wood because you can use it to treat stuff life coughs and arthritis."

"Do you think it was a coincidence?"
I met his steady gaze.
"Only if you want to call it a coincidence," I replied.

Photo credit http://www.stri.si.edu/english/site_tools/photo_of_the_week/index.php?id=156

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah