Being Heard

"Valerie, I hope everyone dies before you go home!"
Valerie's eyebrows shot up.

"Sr. Janine, I don't know if you want everyone in the hospital to die..." she replied.
It was my fourth week at Parkland Hospital.
Everyone knew handling a patient's death is one of the most difficult assignments for a chaplain.
The paperwork was extensive and the emotional atmosphere of the family was unpredictable and intense.

"Well, I don't mean everyone. You know what I mean. I know you were here all day today and you're staying for the evening shift also because no one is available so I shouldn't say that. But I'm a newbie," I explained.
Valerie laughed and shook her head good-naturedly.
She was a seasoned chaplain and took most things lightly.

Five hours later, Valerie playfully cornered me in our pastoral department's office.
"Sr. Janine, did you know two patients died?"
"Yes."
"Did you know it happened within an hour of each other?"
"Yes."
"Did you know that you had no calls on your pager?"
"Yes."
"Sr. Janine, would you not pray again like that?" A huge smile was playing on her tired countenance.
"Valerie, I didn't know this was how it was going to turn out. Are you okay?"
"I'm a little tired... what would you expect? I'm going home. And don't pray like that!"
Valerie's smile was now a huge grin.

Wow, the power of prayer.
Wow, how God knows the limits of our abilities.
Needless to say, two of us knew God was listening that day.
A Roman Catholic nun and a Reformed Jew studying to be a rabbi.

Note:
"Valerie" is not her real name.
Photo credit: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/wlas0006/1001/2011/11/the-rhetoric-of-superbabies.html

Comments

  1. Sr. Janine,
    I thoroughly loved the story. One correction, I am not studying to be a rabbi, but a board certified Jewish chaplain. My late Aunt Harriet used to say, "Be careful what you wish for because you may get it". Or in my case, Be careful what you pray for, Sr. Janine, because I may get it! I miss your smiling face and teasing you, Sister Batrill. God Bless You and Shalom, Chaplain Merlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chaplain Merlin! (You know... I'm hearing Merlin from King Arthur...) In light of your comment, it goes to prove that I CAN be wrong! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah