Control

"She had just lost her baby.  It's been three hours.  And she was still holding on to it."

I looked at Carlos carefully.
He was the head of the Women and Infants Department at the hospital, 15+ years a chaplain, and a nurse.

"I told her it was time to let go.  Time to let God take control.  Time to take control of myself.  Blah, blah, blah, you know what I mean," Carlos continued in a playful tone.  A smile was beginning to break on his face.

It was not usual for Carlos to view death as someone else's loss.
He was a man of deep sensitivity.

"She looked at me after I was yakking my mouth for almost 30 minutes... Then I smelled it... Gas!"  He stopped as giggles began to engulf his sentences.

"Then she looked at me and said, 'Some things you can't control!'"

ps.  Memories of my days as a chaplain at the hospital.
Photo Credit:  http://www.xda-developers.com/android/get-more-control-of-your-htc-sensation-with-takecontrol/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah