Dreamweaver

"Sister, I have a question to ask you."
Trinh looked at me pointedly.
Hundreds of students were filing out of the school's main doors.

"Go ahead."  My eyes darted to a parent who seemed to be hunting for a lost child.
"Well, Hùng was wondering if you designed your community's website."
"Yes, I did.  But I don't volunteer that information because I already have enough work here."
"You, have work?" she responded with a mischievous smile.

Trinh was one of 72 catechists who help teach over 900 students in Sunday School at Giáo Xứ Đức Mẹ Hằng Cứu Giúp in Garland.  The church had just dedicated a new education center at the start of the school year.

"Oh, I don't have any thing to do.  All these parents read the church's newsletter or goes on our school's website and so they know what's going on.  They don't call me and ask me for information that is already given.  They take their kids to school on time," I returned equally with a laugh.
Just then, Hùng, her husband walked by.

"She did it, honey," Trinh remarked.
"You had a chance to visit?" I asked.
"Well, Sister, I was waiting for something to download and you know how you have the website below your name in your emails...  I clicked on it and I was like, this is good!" Hùng explained.
"Thank you.  I did this a few years ago.   It's in need of updating."
"It's really good.  I like the stuff you put in there, the pictures.  I can see young women wanting to become nuns."
"I had a chance to take some classes.  But you know, with all these browsers updating all the time, I really need to update the website.  It is a project I'm hoping to do once things here at the school settle down a bit."
"I'll get it for you Sister.  What do you need?"
"No, no, Hùng!  I could easily get it myself.  I can get a student version.  It's cheaper.  I just haven't had a chance to do it."
"No, Sister.  If this is what you can do with the student version, we need to get you the professional version.  What's the name of the software?"

I looked pleadingly at Trinh.
A smiled played across her face.
"It's called Dreamweaver.  But I can get it myself!"
"No, no.  Write it down.  You will have it by next week."

"Honey, you got to pick up Nathaniel."  Holding on to the sticky that had the software's name, Hùng left the office.
"You saw what happened.  You know I didn't want him buying it!"
"Sister, I'm happy.  I'm happy we're getting it for you.  Like you say, it'll help young women look into the life and give themselves to God!"   A triumphant smile filled her face.

"Here you go Sister!"
"What?  I was hoping the whole week that he would forget about it," I answered as Trinh handed me the Dreamweaver software box.
"No... why would you think that?"
"I'm still Vietnamese.  Thank you," I said softly with a smile.  I knew it was a sizable gift.  Website design software is not cheap.  Trinh returned my smile gently.

"I want to tell you some thing.  When my superiors first asked me to come here, to Giáo Xứ Đức Mẹ Hằng Cứu Giúp, to help out with the Sunday School, I really didn't want to do it.  My priority and my heart has always been with vocations promotion.  I knew it would be a large time commitment to do ministry here."
"Sister, there are lots of people here.  You can find young women here.  And with this, it'll help you."
"I know.  I thought about how big this parish is and I knew there were possibilities.  However, I kept thinking about how busy I am with the Sunday School and I kept thinking of updating the website.   After the craziness of the past 3-4 weeks, things have begun to settle down.  I kept thinking about how I need to go out and get the latest Dreamweaver.  Then, you and Hùng, out of the blue, offered me this software.  I mean, who would've known what I was thinking?  I didn't even tell my sisters!  I mean, only God would've known what I was thinking!"

Dreamweaver.
It is the name of a software for website design.
I wonder if it can be another name for a God who weaves our dreams into reality.

Photo credit:  wrightfreelancephotography.com
A special thanks to "Anh Hùng and Chị Trinh."
Names have been changed to respect their anonymity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah