Sparkling

First Amaryllis of this May!
"What is it?" Dao asked me.
"It's an amaryllis," I answered.

She gazed doubtfully upon the slender plain stems poking out of the pot.
"It's a flower?" she asked slowly.
"Yes.  I know you don't see any leaves on it and the bud is quite flat, but it's a flower." I reassured her.

I had just come home from Our Mother of Perpetual Help Parish and my arms were full of gifts.
Candy, snacks, fried shrimp, lotion, with knick knacks.  And the amaryllis.
All from catechists who wanted to spoil me and my community for Christmas.

The amaryllis peeked out from the tall gift bag.

According to Greek mythology, Amaryllis was a shy shepherdess who fell deeply in love with Alteo, a shepherd with the strength of Hercules and the beauty of Apollo.  Her affections were not returned and she hoped to win his heart by giving him what held his attention:  flowers.  Following the instructions of the oracle of Delphi, Amaryllis dressed in maiden's white and appeared at Alteo's door for 30 nights, each time piercing her heart with a golden arrow.  At last Alteo opened his door and he found a striking crimson flower, sprung from the blood of Amaryllis's heart.

"Amaryllis" means sparkling in Greek.
Its brilliant showy flowers has become popular Christmas centerpieces and favorite gifts because it can re-bloom year after year.

In fact, up to 75 years.
No wonder it symbolizes pride and determination. 

Determination is the flip side of endurance.
And what produces endurance?

Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. (Romans 5: 3 - 5)

No wonder the flower can bloom up to 75 years.
It sprung from a bleeding heart.

What kind of flowers are you planting?

Dedicated to Mary in this month of May.

ps.  This blog is late in coming as I meant it to be a thank-you note to those who gave me these Christmas gifts.  I know I have their forgiveness.

ps2.  http://www.ehow.com/facts_5836495_history-amaryllis-flower.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life with Ashes

To Die

Kippah